Thursday, April 17, 2008

Holy Holley



Well it arrived! The brand new 350 Holley. This is the largest carburettor allowed in Production sedan racing. If only it was simple to install.
Being a bit of a mechanical virgin regarding the engine I ran into a few issues in the fitting.
The space plate provided, didn't match up with the intake manifold. Secondly when the carby was bolted to the plate, it hit the thermostat housing.
Solution?

Mount the carby backwards!
A big thanks to "Holley Carbs Perth" for their assistance and advise with the purchase and the fitting.
I cut out the centre of the intake manifold to reduce the obstruction to the fuel/air mixture. and a bit of TIG welding later and it was all installed.
Now to get the thing running.


Problem. Shes Not A Firing!


No spark at the plugs. Another trip to Auto one and the guys sorted me out with a new distributor rotor, plugs and ignition coil.
At last it started. Running a bit rough though. Time for a real mechanic to have a look. I dropped the car of yesterday at VJ Auto in Margaret River. Two hours later and Vic called to say it was only running on three cylinders. Another set of plugs and a new set of contact points and its all back on track. Now I just need to give it a work out early next week.
The big news now is that I am madly trying to get all my paperwork done so I can race in the last speedway meeting in Margaret River on Sat 26th April. (weather permitting)
I will kept everyone informed of the process.
Damon

No comments: