Sunday, June 15, 2008

Another Engine

After the disastrous start to my racing career, another engine is the order of the day.
A lot of ringing around to wreckers all over Perth and I finally found a G180, 1.8L Isuzu engine. Its second hand and i wouldn't know its condition until I put it in and turned the key. (not that there a key in my car, more like pushed the button)

Once again it took a lot of convincing Dad to use his shed for the removal and fitting, but after a guarantee it would take no longer than a week, i began work.

Out with the old


Working only after work and late into the night, I got it all done in 2 and a half days! I'm impressed with my effort. I swapped the clutch over and also put on my existing Holley carb and intake as well as the existing extractors.

The hole

In with the new



It started first go, and sounds terrific. A bit of tuning on the dizzy and the new engine is pulling 5500rpm and puring like a kitten. I gave it a drive around the vineyard and the car has heaps of torque. Then issue now is that I have to wait until November for the start of the 08/09 race season. At least this will give me time to freshen up the paintwork and sort out some minor wiring issues.
Cheers. Damon

No comments: